In celebration of the Fifth Annual Saskatchewan Independent Film Awards (SIFA), the Filmpool is delighted to launch the event’s new, official website at SIFA.CA. Information pertaining to all things SIFA, including past winners, nominees and photos are available.
Call for Submissions for SIFA 2018 are now closed.
Thanks to all the independent filmmakers from across Saskatchewan who submitted their films and good luck to everyone! Adjudication is in the hands of the three member SIFA jury. Nominees in five of the six award categories will be announced on Friday, November 2. The announcement will be made by our returning host Shawn Koch, on Facebook live starting at NOON.
SIFA 2018 will be held on Friday, November 23 at Regina’s Artesian Theatre.
Tickets now on sale at SIFA.CA
The Saskatchewan Filmpool Cooperative is very pleased to present the 2017 Saskatchewan Independent Film Awards (SIFA). The event celebrates Saskatchewan’s best independent films and filmmakers, and showcases to the entire province our own filmmaking talents and unique Saskatchewan culture.
SIFA is presented by the Saskatchewan Filmpool Cooperative an organization dedicated to the production and exhibition of independent, visionary, Saskatchewan-made, film and video art.
Now in its fourth year, the 2017 SIFA will be held Friday, November 17 at Regina’s Artesian Theatre. The evening will begin with a screening of the nominated films and conclude with a hosted award ceremony. This year’s hosts and entertainment will be announced soon!
While tickets will be sold at the door pending availability, no seats will be held and the event may sell out online.
Comedian and actor, Shawn Koch, has performed on stages and screens across Canada for over 17 years. His credits include: Supernatural, Stargate SG-1, Psych, Masters of Horror, Vancouver Comedyfest and Talent. Currently, he hosts 3 radio shows on CJTR 91.3fm, announces for the Pile O’ Bones Roller Derby Club and performs at various events around the province. He lives in Regina with his 9 year old son, Grady.
SIFA would like to thank all its partners, sponsors, supporters, as well as the filmmakers who make this event what it is!
The Saskatchewan Independent Film Awards are open to all Saskatchewan residents living in the province for one year or longer, and Filmpool Members living outside of the province who have held membership for at least one year.
Call for Submissions
Call for submissions opens September 1st, 2017
The deadline for Call for Submission is October 13, 2017
• The Saskatchewan Independent Film Awards are open to all Saskatchewan residents living in the province for one year or longer. If you are a Filmpool Member living outside of the province, you must have been a member for at least one year.
• The term “Independent” is defined as a film in which the filmmaker retains 100% creative control over.
• Films submitted should not exceed 15 minutes, except in the category of Best Feature Film whereby the film must be no less than 50 minutes in length
• Films must have been completed in the past two years and not have been submitted to the previous SIFA Screenings.
• Submissions of all types will be considered (documentary, narrative, experimental, animation, etc.)
• Best Film – Jury’s Choice
• Best Student Film
• Best Acting
• Audience Choice
• Best Feature Film
• Best Technical Achievement
• Please visit FilmFreeway for all SIFA guidelines, including eligibility requirements and procedures
• Following the adjudication process, applicants will be notified if their film has been selected to be included in the 2017 SIFA Screening
• IMAA standards for artist’s fees will be honoured for all selected filmmakers
• All selected SIFA Screening filmmakers will be encouraged to attend the 2017 SIFA event, or to send a representative
• All submitted films will be also considered for the Filmpool’s Screening Under the Steeple event in May 2018
• This is a competitive process juried by a panel of three professional independent filmmakers
• Films selected for the SIFA Screening will be assessed under the context of the Filmpool’s mandate.
• The Filmpool retains the right to deem certain content inappropriate for a general audience.
• The final decision regarding interpretation of the eligibility of any production for consideration for the SIFAs will be the responsibility of the Filmpool and the 2017 SIFA Committee.
Last Year’s Event: