New Toronto Works - Livestream Screening
Time & Location
About the Event
Saskatchewan Filmpool Cooperative, in collaboration with PAVED Arts, The Winnipeg Film Group, and Pleasure Dome TO present a new virtual screening experience of New Toronto Works.
NEW TORONTO WORKS Online Screening & Panel Discussion: Wednesday, October 28, 2020
Screening: 7pm (CST) on Facebook & Twitch
Panel: 8pm (CST)
Pleasure Dome’s New Toronto Works is a high voltage programme of new media artworks: a cinematic screening stitched together by a live wire. In an exhibition that combines emerging and established artists; and features works that range from glitch art to animation, essay films to archival interventions, ‘newness’ describes the conceptual and aesthetic intensity that links these ten experimental pieces. Here, this programme’s refusal of a singular connective thematic tissue makes for a pulsating trip across works that are truly distinct from one another.
As each short film begins, our spectatorial experience is refreshed by the incisive imaginations of these Toronto-based creators who probe urgent and unexpected questions.
- Disembodied Beings, Freya Björg Olafson, 2019 (Digital, 6:49)
- The Bathers, Sonia Beckwith Cole, 2019 (Digital, 1:19)
- Little Boshkung ("lake of many echoes"), Andrew Lennox, 2019 (Digital, 9:43)
- Aches, Nikole Hidalgo McGregor, 2019 (Digital, 2:49)
- Not Moldova, 1937, Madi Piller, 2019 (16mm, 13:57)
- Memory & Distortion, Cody Rooney, 2019 (Digital, 4:24)
- Coherence (or maybe not...), Bo Fan, 2019 (Digital, 9:13 min)
- Here You Can Only Gain Respect by Killing Other Men, Renee Lear, 2019 (Digital, 6:24)
- Unquiet on the Western Front, Sophie Jaworski, 2019 (Digital, 3:12 min)
- CRACKERS a brief history of code, Jan Swinburne, 2019 (Digital, 4:23)
Pleasure Dome acknowledges the support of the Canada Council for the Arts.